Our History


First Communion

Thousands of children have been offered a first-class education since St. Angela Merici Parish School opened its doors more than 50 years ago. St. Angela Merici is an energetic and thriving community that maintains both its traditions of academic excellence and its vision for a bright future in Catholic education.

St. Angela Merici Parish was called the Brea Mission from its inception in 1951 until 1962 when the Archdiocese of Los Angeles announced that the Brea Mission would become a parish. Its boundaries included Brea and parts of Fullerton. In August 1962, the founding Pastor of the new parish was appointed. As more families moved into the parish, they expressed a desire for a parochial school. The pastor met with Chancery officials to gain permission for construction of a school. He persuaded the Poor Clare Sisters from Ireland (now Sisters of St. Clare) to assume the teaching duties at the school and they arrived in August 1964. A school, ready to accommodate eight grades, was waiting for them. In September of that same year, three teaching sisters, with the help of one lay teacher, opened the school consisting of first through fourth grade classes, and one of the sisters was appointed principal. The enrollment was about 150 children. A convent for the sisters was completed in August 1966. 1stcomm2

By 1967, there were over 800 families in the parish, and in 1968, approximately 350 students were registered in the school. Construction began on the present church, and on Easter Sunday 1969, the first Masses were celebrated. Today, St. Angela Merici Parish School has expanded to include Transitional Kindergarten (TK) through eighth grade classrooms, a computer lab, a resource lab and resource room, an advanced math room, a school library, extended care center, a music room, a staff room, a student store, a health room, and a Science Lab.

Share